Cataracts are a problem that affects millions of people around the world. They are caused when the lenses of the eye become cloudy and opaque, resulting in blurred vision.
While cataracts can occur naturally as part of the aging process, they can also be caused by trauma, disease, and certain medications. If left untreated, cataracts can eventually lead to blindness.
Fortunately, cataract surgery is an effective treatment that can restore your vision. But how do you know when you need cataract surgery in Singapore? This blog post will explain the symptoms and signs that may indicate that it’s time for you to consider having cataract surgery.
What Are The Symptoms Of Cataracts?
The most common symptom of a cataract is blurry or cloudy vision. This occurs because the lens of the eye has become clouded or opaque, which blocks light from entering the eye correctly and blurs our vision. Other symptoms include:
- Poor night vision
- Sensitivity to glare
- Double vision in one eye
- Fading or yellowing of colors
- Difficulty seeing at a distance
In some cases, people may not realize that they have a cataract until it has progressed significantly and their vision is severely impaired.
When Should I Consider Cataract Surgery?
In most cases, doctors will recommend waiting until a patient’s cataract has advanced before considering surgery. This is because most patients don’t experience any major benefits from having surgery before then—it simply doesn’t make sense to go through with such an invasive procedure when there isn’t much to gain from it yet.
However, there are some instances where doctors may suggest having surgery sooner rather than later. These include:
- If you have diabetes or another medical condition that could make you more prone to complications after surgery: It is important to note that even if you do have diabetes, it is still possible to undergo cataract surgery safely. However, your doctor may recommend that you have the procedure sooner rather than later so that any potential complications can be addressed promptly.
- If you have had an eye injury or are experiencing rapid vision loss: Injuries to the eye can cause cataracts to develop more quickly. If you have had an injury or are experiencing rapid vision loss, your doctor may recommend that you have the procedure sooner rather than later. The procedure, in this case, is usually more involved and may include additional tests or treatments.
- If your cataract is significantly impacting your daily activities: Some people with cataracts may not experience any impact on their daily activities, while others may find that their vision is significantly impaired. If you are having trouble with daily activities such as driving, reading, or recognizing faces, your doctor may recommend that you have the procedure sooner rather than later.
- If you are over the age of 65: The risk of complications from cataract surgery increases with age. If you are over the age of 65, your doctor may recommend that you have the procedure sooner rather than later.
- If you suddenly experience browning or yellowing of colors: This is a sign that the cataract has progressed significantly and may mean that your doctor will recommend that you have the procedure sooner rather than later.
- If you are pregnant: Surgery during pregnancy can be dangerous for both the mother and the baby, so doctors typically will not recommend it unless absolutely necessary. If you are pregnant and your doctor does suggest that you have the procedure, they may recommend you do it sooner rather than later.
If you think that having a cataract surgery in Singapore may help, it’s important to speak to your doctor as soon as possible. They will be able to assess your condition and advise you on the best course of treatment.
In most cases, cataract surgery is a safe and effective way to improve a person’s vision. However, it is important to be aware of the risks and discuss them with your doctor before making any decisions.
And the decision whether or not to have cataract surgery in Singapore should ultimately be made between you and your doctor. They will take into consideration the severity of your symptoms, the progression of your cataract, and any other factors that may impact your ability to see clearly.
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms or signs mentioned above, be sure to make an appointment with your eye doctor to discuss the best treatment options. With timely intervention, cataract surgery can help restore your vision and allow you to enjoy life again without the effects of blurry or clouded vision.
There are also certain lifestyle considerations that may influence when someone should consider having cataract surgery in Singapore. For example, if someone works in a hazardous environment or regularly drives at night, then they should consider getting their cataracts treated sooner rather than later to protect themselves from potential accidents or injuries related to impaired vision.
Additionally, people who struggle with activities such as reading or watching TV due to their impaired vision should also consider getting their eyes checked out sooner rather than later. The earlier a diagnosis is made and treatment begins, the better chance for successful visual rehabilitation afterward! Last but not least, people should consider the cost associated with cataract surgery as well – as prices can vary significantly depending on location and insurance coverage.
Cataracts are a common problem affecting many people worldwide—but fortunately, they can be corrected with proper treatment! Cataract surgery is an effective way to restore vision while also preventing further damage from occurring within your eyes.
However, it’s important to understand when you need this type of procedure so that you don’t put yourself at risk unnecessarily. If you think you might have a cataract or any other type of condition affecting your sight, then it’s important to consult an ophthalmologist right away so they can assess your individual case and determine whether or not treatment is necessary! With proper assessment and care, you can get back on track with a clear vision soon enough!
Our team of skilled ophthalmologists at Chelvin SNG Eye Center is here to help you with all your eye care needs. We provide comprehensive assessments, treatments, and follow-up care to ensure your eyes stay as healthy and clear as possible. Contact us today to learn more about our services or to schedule an appointment! Call: +65 6334 2282 or visit us at:
Chelvin Sng Eye Centre – Glaucoma | Cataract Surgery | Eye Specialist
38 IRRAWADDY ROAD MT ELIZABETH NOVENA SPECIALIST CENTRE, #06-25, 329563
+65 6334 2282